Thursday, February 10, 2011

Snap, Crackle, Pop!

One would think that after almost 3 weeks into this training regimen the ol' bod would begin getting used to the usage of previously neglected body parts.  Well I'm here to tell you they're not!  It's almost comical that less than 100 feet from the finish line of my 2.5 mile treadmill run last night my left calf seized, shooting all too familiar pain signals that my Achilles tendon was ready to snap at any second.  Such a novice I am at treadmill running that trying to hop on one foot while trying to stop the darn thing was a sight to behold I'm sure.  Thankfully, I was able to slow the thing down so I could walk the last few yards thereby reaching the finish whilst dripping wet in my too short yellow Lycra Underarmour shirt and circa 1980's Adidas gym shorts. 

For those of you that have never suffered a torn Achilles tendon injury I can tell you they are no fun.  Imagine having the sudden sensation of someone hauling off and cracking the back of your lower leg with a baseball bat.  One minute you're standing, the next you are looking around behind you looking for the ass that ran into the back of you, but lo and behold there's nobody there!  Then the pain hits you in a delayed reaction with such a surge you are wishing upon all the stars above you could turn back time to 10 seconds ago.  First you stand up to see if your leg is broken or if you just have a sever cramp you can walk off.  Then you come to find out your foot doesn't move.  You can stand but you ain't walking.  You then slowly realize something is definitely wrong and that sickening feeling of dread, worry and faintness starts to overcome you.  Long story short, you get to make an appointment for outpatient surgery, put your leg in a cast for 4-6 weeks, then a walking boot for another month before you get to do painful stretching exercises for the next six to nine months.  The only good news about the whole event is that now you have a bionic tendon that will never rip again.

Such was my mind-set I had immediately upon the pain hitting me last night.  Once I was able to limp off the treadmill and wipe it down I gimped around the gym trying to shake it off as wifey finished up her run.  I sat in my sweat watching the indoor soccer junkies while rubbing my calf trying to pinpoint the pain center.  Bingo!  It was high up the tendon, near the base of my calf, right where I had felt tightness years before playing volleyball before my right one snapped back in 2007.  I did some pseudo-deep tissue massage trying to relieve the tension until Staci showed up with a look of genuine concern.  I'm sure she doesn't want a repeat of me needing to be waited on for a month or more, having to help me up and down stairs, into the bath, putting on my socks--you know, basically being an invalid.  I gingerly dressed back into my warm-up pants and fleece jacket then gimped my way down the stairs ever slowly slowly and out into the cold night air.  How I wished I had parked the car closer!

Ice, aspirin and Xtend were applied and downed when I got us home.  Staci made some grilled chicken wraps for dinner (very yummy and light) then we watched The Expendables.  What a bunch of past action heroes all on the screen at the same time!  It was surprising to see so many, but the movie was just alright.  Nothing great.  Meanwhile, I tried not to sulk too much about being injured when I have another 3 mile run looming in a few days.  I gotta start getting my stamina up which is what I was attempting to do last night.  I walked for the first quarter lap to warm up (most likely not NEARLY enough) then upped the speed to 5 to 5.3.  My goal was to try and get the miles in under 12 minutes.  For the longest time I was just cruising.  No pain, no labored breathing, just a nice comfortable rhythm as I watched ESPN news and listened to my iPod.  I did take a short break back down to a walk so I could get a few sips of water after the first 6 laps, but that only lasted 30 seconds at the most.  Then it was back up to 5.3 for the last few laps.  Guess that was asking too much.  Still, I was finished in 30 minutes, albeit in agony.

So, no cross training swim tonight (sniff).  Just rest for tonight and tomorrow so I can attempt the run on Saturday morning.  How depressing that my body is breaking down on me even when I'm trying to tune it back up to pre-partying days shape.  I suppose the old adage is never so more true than with me:  your body is your temple--use it and it won't let you down.  Don't, and suffer the consequences.  This is not my idea of being a martyr!

No comments:

Post a Comment