Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ain't no sunshine when I run....

Week 3

Sorry for the delay about Saturday mornings 3 mile jaunt through the drizzle/light rain/puddles the size of small lakes, but we hosted a Super Bowl Party Sunday night and I was in no mood to write yesterday!  But after 12 hours of blissful rest I'm ready to share our slogging triumph through the water-logged streets of The Fan.  We were early arrivals so not to miss the warm-up with the rest of the die-hard trainees.  We all looked rather miserable doing calisthenics in a steady light rain, cold and wet with nothing to look forward to except puddle dodging for the next 45 or so minutes.  This trip had us running up Main Street through the restaurant district of the Fan, cutting over onto Meadow Street until we hit Monument Avenue then back down through VCU and Monroe Park and across Belvedere back to the Jefferson parking lot.  Staci's iPod wasn't charged so I gave her mine since my hands were too numb to try and make it work.  Again we started from the rear as I left her to her own devices so I could find a spot where I wasn't surrounded and hemmed in.

I suppose our weekly runs at the gym are beginning to pay off.  Neither of us stopped unless forced to do so by traffic.  Seems once I get into that rhythm, I just keep rolling along although my feet were soaked almost immediately from unsuccessful attempts at hurdling  giant puddles that Richmond's sewer system just can't seem to drain very well.  Aside from my squishy, now probably ruined $100 running shoes, I was able to pound out the 3 miles in a little over 30 minutes I'm guessing.  Not stopping definitely speeds up the time of getting the run over with.  Our trainers are telling us to fight through such an urge; mind over matter (in my case, a LOT of matter).  Yes a girl passed me again, but I weigh twice as much as her so I don't feel too bad.  I even made it up the hill the last 100 yards offered as a finale, oddly remember my first mile run when I hit the wall and could not do it.  Guess this running thing is starting to provide some endurance as well?

Yes, I was tired as hell when it was over but my legs were not screaming in agony as before. I caught my breath fairly quickly and waited for wifey and one of our 20-something friend to show up (she decided to run with us instead of her other location for fun).  She showed up about five minutes after me and Staci another five after that.  Again, the wife was ever so thrilled of not having to stop at all even though her pace was not terribly quick--at least she is making it the whole way through after never thinking in a million years she was ever capable of such a feat!  We both marveled that it wasn't even 9 am yet and we were already done.  I was ready for a celebratory breakfast.

Nothing really more to relate about the run--it went faster than expected even if the weather was nasty and dreary.  One day Spring may actual come and we won't have to make these runs on bone-chilling mornings with rain or fog or 19 degrees.  Our bodies seem to be handling this exercise better than prior weeks.  We're recuperating faster and not walking like elderly stroke victims as much.  Oh I still feel it if I've sat for too long and I've yet to see my scale not spin three times really fast before setting on my gross tonnage amount but all in all I think this training gig is working.  Like I said before, sleeping has become a bonified pleasure and almost instantaneous since we are more physically spent.  Waking up is not as painful when the alarm goes off, if I haven't already beaten it with the sun.  Staci's been trying to cook more healthful meals as we await our nutritionists recommendations.

Else, the weekend with the kiddies went splendidly.   I took them to the Virginia Historical Society's new Civil War interactive exhibit on Sunday before the game. Allison was able to get herself as an escaped slave to safety of the Union lines.  Lauren had me running all over the place explaining 10,000 years of Virginia history.  I made sure our party had plenty of Jamison's.  Hence, Monday's 2.5 mile light run was put off because my friends had many, MANY reasons to toast something or someone.  Staci's food was a pure hit--nothing left but a few bowls of chili.    Lots of beer left over, too.  How odd!

Well, Wednesday we'll be back on track as wifey explained we're not supposed to make up runs we missed without having the rest day in between. So we'll just have to enjoy an extra "off" day before resuming our training schedule.  No worries, I'm not dreading the workouts as I did when my body was ever-aching.  Dare I say I'm actually looking forward to them?  Egads, I have lost my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment