Thursday, February 3, 2011

Conquering a Treadmill 101

I had every intention of going back to running the track last night for our 2.5 mile "easy" jog but, alas, there were two treadmills lying empty side-by-side, so I thought I'd give it another go using Wifey's suggestions.  This time no holding onto the bar so my pulse could be read, just an easy walk followed by a moderate jog.  I walked maybe half a lap before starting in on my run at the 4.7 level.  This time I had Egypt's civil unrest on the TV to entertain me while I listened to my 25 most played songs on my iPod.  Miraculously I somehow found my balance to not drop off the edge and managed a full mile before easting back into a walk to get a chug of water and readjust my iPod that kept having the volume go haywire on me.

Yes, my shins and hips let me know I was trying to haul a pseudo behemoth  along this path to nowhere yet I pushed ahead through the pain as our coaches weekly newsletter urged us on to do.  Again the sweat came tumbling down in rivers, soaking my shirt and shorts in little time.  I tried to stay focused on the TV and my music and only stopped at 2 miles in to a walk to get some more water (note to self: make sure the water bottle has cold water in it--warm water tastes like crap!)

I then did the unthinkable:  I upped the speed level to an even 5-spot that got my mile time to 12 minutes flat (technically).  This I ran for the final 2 laps to make the 2.5 miles in a little over 30 minutes.  Not too bad for a novice I suppose.  Wifey was still a few laps behind me on her treadmill gauge so I walked around to lessen any chance of sudden and devastating cramps.  I'm still amazed at all the 80 pounders running at full tilt on all the different apparatus'; rowing machines, stair masters that take you nowhere, elliptical machines that make you think you're a Nordic ski racer, etc.  I ended up sitting and watching the indoor soccer foreigners play for a bit until Staci finally showed up, red faced and actually sweating almost as bad as me, telling me she managed 2.8 as she wanted to compensate for the extra walking she did.  Oh how proud I am of her!  Two weeks ago she couldn't run a block and now lookie!

Xtend is still our drug of choice when we got home.  I peeled off my nasty clothes and took a quick shower as Staci made a light supper.  Iron Man 2 was REALLY good!  Meanwhile, we're still a bit perturbed that we are not losing any weight--rather gaining!  All that we've read says that we are replacing fat weight with muscle weight and that is supposedly common in new runners.  Staci has solicited a dietitian to look at our meals, which I think are healthy, but she thinks we need to fine-tune.  Great, first I'm sore all the time and now eating is gonna suck!  Guess all the Julia Child cookbooks Staci's been reading voraciously aren't gonna get used anytime soon!

Well, it's off to the pool tonight to cross-train.  Staci has an install to do tonight (thanks Suntrust!) so I'm going solo to the gym this time around.  Probably for the best because I wanna check out all the amenities the pool has to offer besides swimming friggin' laps!  I did that for 12 years and haven't missed it.  Perhaps I can impress with a 3/4 lap of my awesome butterfly before I choke?

No comments:

Post a Comment